Sunday, April 19, 2009

One day


Today was a gift to me.

These are the days God sends me when He knows I'm in danger of losing my groove. Before deployments I never knew the power that one day could hold. One day can get you through the mire of hundreds of days. It can wipe away the frustrations and dread from the past weeks and completely refresh your outlook for the ones to come.

I took Isabella for countless rides in her new wagon (her prize after being so sick for so long) We scoped out the yard sales in the neighborhood, we mailed daddy a 24 lb. care package (yep, 24 lbs. I don't cut corners, they already go without so much out there) We went for ice cream cones at McDonalds, we rode the escalators at the Navy Exchange (she loves to do that) and after all of this, we sat in my bed and read some of her favorite books, then took a three hour nap together.

I'm taking an odd sort of comfort in the fact that my house is insanely messy because I know it's because spent the entire day playing with my daughter and putting miles on her new Radio Flyer, only stopping to rest when she did. My O.C.D. self really wants to jump up and start scrubbing and tidying and on a normal day, I wouldn't be able to sleep until I did...but no, today is not a normal day, not at all, for we were restful and pefectly content. There wasn't a single tantrum or meltdown...not a single tear was shed today, no backs were arched, no food was thrown, no accidents, no fresh boo-boos...however there was, hot sunshine, much laughter, running amuck, red cheeks, stickey kisses and many a times, a sweet toddler pausing to put her clammy little hands on either side of my face and say; "Mama, I wuv you."

Be still my heart!

I just want to relish this calm, I want to remember the serenity of this perfect day during deployment. I'm going to pack up all of the sweetness from today, tuck it away somewhere and bring it out when I'm feeling so overwhelmed that I don't know if I can go on another day...week...month.

Yes, today is a gift to me :)

7 comments:

G. B. Miller said...

Sounds as if your "one day" - your gift to yourself - was all wrapped up in ribbons and bows.

Musings of the Mrs. said...

I just found your blog and I love it. That was a wonderful post. I can't wait to read more.

Lovie said...

ah yes, those good days..I remember them well. sure am glad you are blogging again.
MOM

AP Mommy said...

That's so sweet! I'm glad it was such a nice day. Stopping by from SITS!

Angela said...

that is the sweetest post ever! :) it got me all teary-eyed...what a perfect day indeed!

Rachel said...

ah I loved this post. I know EXACTLY how you feel. My husband is in the army and is gone training this month and my ONE day was yesterday and it made a world of difference! I now feel like I can face the world and my 2 yr old:)for the rest of the time my hubby is gone.
I love your blog and have been reading for a few months, found you through rosey posey confections.

Anonymous said...

You're right, one day is powerful, and so is our attitude in it. Good for you in hanging onto it.