Saturday, April 18, 2009

we're weaning.


Uhm....yeah....so the weaning thing...not going so well for me. She's like a junkie with her crack...I'm not even sure where she finds them all...since when do I own a GREEN pacifier? I swear, she's been hitting kids up at playgroup, she's probably got some gangster toddler name like..."Izzie-P" I can just see it now. She's walking up to some toddler, shuffling her feet, there's probably some nervous twitching, eyes darting from side to side, makes sure i'm not looking, and then she asks "So you got the stuff? You got it? Huh? HUH?!?" Paci dealer/toddler thug then whips a paci out of his/her diaper in one fell swoop and passes it to her in a fake, (but adorable) toddler hug...all of the parents are so busy grabbing their cameras and oohing and awwing over how cute it is that we never notcie the exchange.

Anybody have any helpful suggestions for this wean-green mother of one?

(boo-boo on the nose: A flash-before-my-eyes disaster involving a 4 1/2' couch, a sick toddler who very uncharacteristically threw herself backwards in anger when she didn't want to go to bed, a mommy with her hands full of laundry and one panicked phone call to the doctor at 9:00 at night on his Emergency line...all of this, on Easter Sunday... Sigh)

7 comments:

G. B. Miller said...

ROFL!! You've written some hilarious stuff, but this one just about tops them all. =) I can just see you as "comedy mom" onstage at the local Comedy Club. Try it - you might become the comedy version of Susan Boyle...millions of hits on You Tube..phone interviews with Diane Sawyer and Harry Reasoner. =)

gina said...

No WEANING. We had the binkie fairy come. We left out a basket of ALL of the binkies (for other babies that need them) - the fairy left the basket filled with "big girl" goodies... sidewalk chalk, bubbles, sunglasses... etc.

There was no whining for a bink because there weren't any to be had!

BlueCastle said...

That is a great picture! Made me laugh out loud. Good luck. My kids didn't use pacifiers, but I know other people who "lost" the paci when they needed their kid to be done. Would that work? :)

Anonymous said...

Our daughter got a build a bear if she gave her pipes to babies that need them:) It worked We packed them in a box like we were going to mail them to the hospital.

Pam said...

Visiting from SITS. LOVE that picture. Reminds me of when my daughter was little (she's 14 now) she would wear all five binkys on her fingers like rings. One day we couldn't find any of the binkys and that was that. MONTHS later she found them in the dress up bin, in a purse. At that point, I just tossed them. She didn't seem to mind at all. Good luck! Binky fairy does seem to be an old standby.

Denise K. said...

Love the binkie fairy idea! :-)Another site said to cut a hole in the tips of the pacifiers as that deflates them and takes away some of the pleasure in sucking them. Good luck..I know it is a big job..we had one that liked the binkie and one that liked the thumb...both are hard to give up!

Ele at abitofpinkheaven said...

This is so cute. I remember those days, and miss them dearly (really!). My daughter had one favorite. One day we just couldn't find it (cold turkey is the ONLY way). Years later she found it in my cedar chest. She actually sighed, *ooooh*. If it does disappear, save at least one for memories!