Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Bathroom re-do

Before





After! (No, the paint is not darker on the right side, my picture just messed up somehow causing that weird dark line looking thing...)





Finally, I'm done! Well...almost, I still have a frame to put around the mirror...a totally awesome Idea I gleaned from ProjectCreateAHome...but for the most part, I'm done.

In a few weeks, I'm hosting a little lunch get together for ladies from my church...that really got me in the mode, I took one look at my drab, white, military housing bathroom and I knew it wouldn't do. I needed to transform it into a foofy and fabulous space for nose powdering and the like. Just one problem though, I'm broke as a joke...sigh.

I did a little brainstorming, a little blog stalking...and finally I decided that I could just use the paint leftover from my kitchen. I really wanted one of those stencils with the scalloped edge, but jeepers ya'll, those are $16.00 stencils!...I had a perfectly good oatmeal container sitting in my pantry that would suffice. Sure, not nearly as convenient, but it was free. I spotted some beautiful cottege style hand towels at Target...but yikes, I don't have a spare $40 lying around to spend on hand towels, So I bought three towels from wal-mart for $2.44 each and I sewed on my own ribbon and pom-poms. Not bad, eh? The artwork on the walls was a Goodwill find, originally the frames were a horrid shade of gold, nothing a little spray paint can't fix. A basket on the back of th commode adds a little warmth, and the window mistreatment is a scrap of fabric I had in my closet that I just kinda rigged up to the window and tied with some ribbon.

All in all, my bathroom re-do cost me a total of $17.44 which is only about a dollar more than I would have paid for the stencil!

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Girl, that looks fabulous! I love love love the scalloped edge. You are a genius with $17.44!

Danyele Easterhaus said...

yeah!!! fab and gorgeous too! and project{create a home}...love!

Lovie said...

purty purty! Love the oval frames painted white. Gives me an idea ofr the dark ones I have in the blue room.
MOM

Mer said...

Ew your bathroom looks beautiful! I love the scallops they are so perfect. The pom poms are so cute too! Its got such a fresh spring look to it.
-Kelsey

G. B. Miller said...

Great job! Love it!

Unknown said...

that is a FABULOUS bathroom re do! I love love love the scalloped (oatmeal can!) edge especially. Crazy good!

Kailani said...

Isn't that a great feeling! I remember when we re-did our bathroom, I just sat there for hours just admiring it.

Looks great!

Kristal said...

You are so freakin crafty! Holy cow, it looks incredible...like it cost you over $100 to complete!

Anonymous said...

Ok. Now you have me wanting to paint again. I love it. I want to come take a shower in your pretty new bathroom. :) B/C I am not artsy fartsy like you I paid the 16.00 and ordered the scalloped stencil. I'm wanting to do my guest room this summer and want a soft, feminine theme to go with the Eiffle Tower/ French little girls room.

Shine said...

You did an awesome job girl! Just got around to looking and the first thing I thought while scrolling down your blog was..."gee...wonder where she found that cute stencil?" Now I feel ready to tackle another room!

Kristen said...

WOW!!!! All for under $20?? I'm impressed! That scallop at the top is so sweet and I love the color! Great job!

BlueCastle said...

That looks so pretty! Very soothing and so lovely. :)